Mark L. Smith
Direct: (213) 377-5464
11601 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 2080
Los Angeles, CA 90025
Main Fax: (877) 730-5910
Activities and Memberships
- Member of the Sedona Conference Working Group Series, Groups 1 and 6.
- Member of the Central District of California Pro Bono Panel.
- JD, Harvard Law School, 2000
- BS, University of Utah, 1997
- State Bars of California and Utah. Northern, Southern and Central Districts of California, District of Utah.
Mark Smith’s practice has developed around creatively providing the highest quality legal services in the most cost-effective manner. Mark has managed large matters and portfolios of matters, using experience, creativity, technology and process to serve clients’ needs effectively and efficiently.
Mark has successfully litigated matters from the large and complex to the simple and straightforward for large and small companies and individuals for the last 15 years. Prior to forming Smith Correll, Mark worked in large multinational and boutique law firms. Mark has first chair trial experience and has advised clients around the world across a wide variety of industries and issues.
Recent Representative Wins and Trial Victories
- Defense of former officers and directors of private developer accused of improper billing practices and filing false claims in connection with a $1.1 billion dispute brought by city, state, federal and private claimants
- Representation of internet companies in intellectual property disputes, including trademark, copyright and patent disputes
- Defense of Fortune 100 Company in third-party derivative action won on motions to dismiss and upheld on appeal
- Arbitration victory for broker dealer in dispute between registered members alleged to have raided highly successful trader business unit
- Representation of former executive in Federal Trade Commission action alleging improper mobile billing practices
- Defense of former Chief Compliance Officer against Securities Exchange Commission accused of aiding and abetting violations of law in financial institution’s business
- Defense of former Chief Financial Officer of financial institution in FINRA and Securities Exchange Commission actions and in private class actions
- Prevailed on behalf of internet company in antitrust litigation alleging illegal combination in restraint of trade in vertical market and monopoly in horizontal market
- Defense of financial institution in mortgage-backed securities class actions
- Defense of cruise line, technology, alcohol and frozen foods companies in Second Requests under HSR Act and against Department of Justice in enforcement action
- Ongoing advice and representation of multinational companies in cross-border litigation employment matters, consumer laws, eDiscovery and appeals
Mr. Smith spent the first years of his career at the highly-respected law firms Sullivan & Cromwell and Winston & Strawn.
Most Recent Published Works and Lectures
- LegalTech New York, Speaker, “Best Practices in Law Firm Management,” February 4, 2014
- LegalTech New York, Speaker, “Cost Control – Enterprise Discovery Management Metrics and Repeatable Processes,” February 4, 2014
- Utah Business Journal, Author, “What to Do When the Government Is at Your Door?” March 2013
- Bridgeport CE, Speaker, “Alternative Dispute Resolution of Class Actions,” 2013
- Bridgeport CE, Speaker, “The Ins and Outs of Managing Complex Litigation and eDiscovery,” 2012
- Daily Journal, Author, “ESI: California,” August 2009
- LegalTech West Coast, Speaker, “Litigating Across Borders,” June 2009
- LegalTech New York, Speaker, “Cross-border Litigation,” February 2009