Matthew P. Kelly
11601 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 2080
Los Angeles, CA 90025
Fax: (877) 730-5910
- In 2008, Super Lawyer Magazine named him as a Rising Star in Litigation and Class Action practice.
- During law school, Mr. Kelly received a number of honors including Dean’s List ranking, a Harno Scholar award, a Lincoln Scholar award, and a Rickerts Award for Excellence in Legal Writing.
- Recognized by the federal court in Los Angeles for his representation of an indigent prisoner at trial.
- Graduated cum laude from the University of Illinois College of Law
- B.A. from Eastern Illinois University
Mr. Kelly was an articles editor for the University of Illinois Law Review. He was also an editor for The Journal of Comparative Labor Law and an instructor for the University of Illinois Speech Communication Department.
Matthew P. Kelly has nearly fifteen years of experience in almost every aspect of litigation. He has represented both plaintiffs and defendants in state and federal courts throughout the nation.
Class Actions. Mr. Kelly has worked on a number of complex business class actions covering a wide range of topics. These topics have included medical transcription services, environmental toxic torts, unfair business practices, and demurrage charges in overseas shipments.
Business-to-Business Disputes. Mr. Kelly has represented business clients in a broad array of civil suits that involving contracts and torts. He has handled lawsuits involving international and national shipments of goods, services agreements, private equity takeovers, shareholder derivative actions, and healthcare services. He has also represented clients in intellectual property disputes, illegal competition cases, and employee/employer disputes.
General Torts and Product Liability. Mr. Kelly has participated in the defense of personal injury tort cases, with a special emphasis on product liability. He has been a member of a number of trial teams for various Fortune 500 companies. He has worked across a wide variety of topics including heating equipment, tobacco, manufacturing equipment, and electronics.
Government Investigations. Mr. Kelly has been involved in a number of government investigations. He has worked on election fraud cases, DOJ qui tam investigations, FTC false advertising suits, and SEC fraud cases. In addition, he has worked with clients in negotiating the parameters of various subpoenas issued from government agencies.
Public Entity Defense. Mr. Kelly has also represented a number of state and local agencies in litigation. He has successfully resolved a number of disputes, including the following:
- Obtained a $1.9 million award for the City of San Fernando by writ of mandate in a case dealing with the improper assessment of various payments owed to the City in the wake of the dissolution of the Redevelopment Agency for the City
- Managed a sensitive personal injury case seeking $20 million against the Compton Unified School District.
- Led the investigation into the wrongdoing by the Superintendent Jose Fernandez of Centinela Valley Union School District and prepared complete investigative report of grounds related to his dismissal.
- Successfully moved for summary judgment and eliminated a $42 million federal civil rights claim against the Compton Unified School District and 30 other defendants.
E-Discovery and Company Data Retention. Mr. Kelly has developed an expertise in the e-discovery arena, focusing his effort on assisting publically traded companies navigate complicated issues including litigation holds, long term retention programs, data harvesting, relevance review and production. He has negotiated multiple government subpoenas and civil case document requests with an eye towards limiting his clients’ litigation costs.